Monday, April 13, 2009

My Pedagogy Statement, version 2

Looking back at my first Pedagogy Statement (Jan. 27), I see how much I have learned in this class. I am now certain that technology needs to be used in the writing process. Furthermore, I wouldn't use literature (you know, the "classics") as the basis of my writing instruction process. My experiences working with high school students have led me to believe that there needs to be a lot more teacher & student collaboration upfront (in the process of discovering a topic, conducting research, and forming an opinion) than time spent at the end (in grading).

I would like to create a process of writing instruction that models the process of writing itself. Good writing does not come from a disengaged writer, and I don't think good writing instruction comes from a disengaged teacher. The teacher and student must be in it together, with learning possible for both. This requires a basic foundation of dignity and respect, as well as shared goals and commitment to the process.

I would like to use technology in the pre-writing or pre-visioning part of the process. Perhaps blogging and texting would be useful in topic selection and opinion statement. Of course, computers are invaluable in the research process. I think the annotated bibliography is a wonderful tool in the pre-visioning stage, and would teach and require it.

Most of the students I work with begin by looking for a topic they think the teacher will like. Then they look for quotes that say something tangential about the topic. They they write the paper. They they look for facts they can cite. Then, if forced, they take a position. Most of the time, they are inclined to write reports, not essays or papers, and it's impossible to find the writer in these reports. I want to teach my students to have a voice and make their position known in their writing. They can't do that if they aren't investigating the conflicts inherent in their topic, so they need to be taught that as well.

I want my students to know about good writing by reading and studying examples of it, but not necessarily literature. I am impressed with a lot of the short fiction (Flash Fiction) I have been seeing lately, and there are hundreds of fabulous articles that would serve just as well in the writing classroom. And who can leave out poetry? I don't think it is all that important what is the subject, I think it is important that the work be well-written. There's no doubt in my mind that we all can learn from good examples.

I believe peer review and workshopping, when handled properly, can be invaluable to the revision process, so I would include them always. Furthermore, I believe guided self-reflection on the work is a powerful tool, and it is one I would also include.

I think my processes would be fairly time-intensive, for both teacher and student, but I think they would yield many benefits, to both the writing and to the student's future as a writer. It is important work -it should take some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment