Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My Pedagogy Statement

I don't feel at all competent at writing this; I don't have enough experience or education. But I do know how I learn, and I'd like to hope others learn that way as well.

I learn by being left alone to do my work. I learn by having access to the resources I need, which include books, papers, magazines, the internet, and people who know more than me. I learn by doing - by experimenting and trying things out and seeing where they go. I learn by being inspired to go further with my ideas. I learn by talking about what I'm thinking about. I learn by studying examples of good work. I learn by mastering the basic forms of the discipline, so I can always have a foundation to work upon.

If I embroider this into a pedagogical philosophy, I would want to create a classroom where expectations are clear, so there is no need to "mommy" the students. I would want to have plenty of books, etc., and as the teacher, I would need to be the one who knows more than the students. I would want to create many opportunities for practice and lots of time for talking about ideas. As the teacher, I would want to be a person who inspires the students to push themselves. I would want to present lots of examples of artful and elegant work, and I would want to be sure my students had competency in the mechanics of the subject.

2 comments:

  1. It is clear you know what you want, and I think that is great! I like how you want to offer the creative opportunities for students to learn and explore who they are through your guidance. Teaching in itself is a creative learning process, and I think we as educators can learn just as much from our students as they from us. In a perfect classroom, students would want to learn and discover in all of the ways you learn; unfortunately we can not ignore the 'baggage' they may bring to the table. That seems to relate to all of our readings this past week. Composition has become political, social, and cultural; we can't ignore that, but we can foster that in a safe, creative, artful environment. And maybe they will learn something from us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bingo you are number 5- last for hte night but certainly not the lest! I think it's great that you know how you learn; that is one ting that we can always work at - to help young students figure that out. I am like you as a learner I learn when I am inspired and I learn by talking and discussing . I think that also is important and I am reminded that our kids do need to talk when it is on topic. They should not be quiet all the time. However, I probalby go the other way. I would like to have cooperative learning most of the time. I am energized when I am around people. But I know others are energized in time by oneself. I am trying to learn balance in this.

    I love your metaphor: embroidering things into our philosophy. Do you sew and make things with your hands! nancy

    ReplyDelete